Context and Problem Statement🔗
We want to record architectural decisions made in this project. Which format and structure should these records follow?
- MADR 2.1.0 - The Markdown Architectural Decision Records
- Michael Nygard's template - The first incarnation of the term "ADR"
- Sustainable Architectural Decisions - The Y-Statements
- Other templates listed at https://github.com/joelparkerhenderson/architecture_decision_record
- Formless - No conventions for file format and structure
Chosen option: "MADR 2.1.0", because
- Implicit assumptions should be made explicit. Design documentation is important to enable people understanding the decisions later on. See also A rational design process: How and why to fake it.
- The MADR format is lean and fits our development style.
- The MADR structure is comprehensible and facilitates usage & maintenance.
- The MADR project is vivid.
- Version 2.1.0 is the latest one available when starting to document ADRs.